Like I mentioned on twitter and Instagram, I prepared Okra soup last night. This is a Nigerian delicacy in which okra is thickened into soup. This is one of my favorite soup to make and eat.
Here are pictures and my recipe...
- Palm Oil
- Choice of meat -- I used goat meat
- Habanero Peppers
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning: Knorr cube
Glance of some of the items that I used including "ground hot pepper", salt and knorr cube seasoning. On the top left is the blended crayfish and habanero peppers.
- Cut the okras into tiny pieces
- Chop the onions
- Cut the spinach into tiny pieces. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and cut it into tiny pieces
- Blend the habanero pepper and crayfish
- Cook the goat meat until it is well done. Add the blended habanero peppers and crayfish and boil for an additional 20mins
- In a separate pot, pour the red palm oil and let it heat up. Add the diced onions and okra and fry until the "draw effect" of the okra kicks in. This process will last less than 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and stir well before adding the cooked meat and broth.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for 10-15minutes and it is ready to serve.
**Updates: To cook the goat meat, just add water, pepper and salt for taste. You can always add more water until you feel the meat is tender or well done.
This the Okra soup with the visible meat :)
Here is the Okra soup served alone or with pounded yam
Have you tried this before or any dish outside your culture?
Enjoy the rest of your day!